- Save & Enjoy
We are offering you a grand opportunity to experience
the Mystic India along
with a world class Dental treatment.
quiet and beautiful township of Bithoor is situated
on the Kannauj Road, 27 km from Kanpur. Situated
on the banks of the Ganga, this tranquil spot is of
considerable historical and religious importance. According
to Hindu scriptures Lord Brahma came to Utpalaranya,
as it was known then, for the creation of mankind. The place
which first witnessed the creation of mankind came to be known
as Brahmavarta or the seat of Brahma. Later
Brahma installed a Shivalinga which is still worshipped
as Brahmeshwar Mahadeva at the principal Ghat of Bithoor,
The Brahmavarta Ghat. A nail of the horse shoe which
is embedded in the steps of the ghat is an object of special
reverence for devotees, considered to be of Brahma’s horse,
while going for Ashwamedha Yajna. On the completion of the
Yajna, the forests of Utpalaranya, became known as Brahmavarta,
from which the popular name, Bithoor is derived. In
later centuries Brahmavarta flourished as the capital
of the kingdom of Utpalaranya, over which ruled the emperor
Uttanpad. His son Dhruva penanced here in order to please
Brahma. The place is pointed out to be Dhruva Teela.
There is a small pool inside Valmiki Ashram, famous as Sita-Kund.
Sita ‘Rasoi’ is still preserved, near which stands ‘Swarga
Naseinee’ or Deep Malika Stambha, studded with niches all
around for illumination. The tower has about 48 steps leading
to its top which is surmounted by a cupola, from where one
can have a panoramic view of the entire area. The existing
Valmiki temple is said to have been rebuilt by Baji Rao Peshwa
in the 19th century. Later Brahmavarta fell into obscurity,
only to regain prominence in the 18th century. During 1753-75
under the rule of Nawab Shuja-ud-daula, the administration
of Bithoor was entrusted to Almas Ali Khan, who erected
a mosque near Lakshman Ghat on the right bank of Ganga. Bithoor
was the capital of the Pargana from 1811 to 1819. After the
departure of the courts, the place was assigned as a residence
to Baji Rao, the deposed Peshwa. The palace of Nana Sahib
was reduced to rubble by the British in 1857 and the only
traces remaining of it are some large well heads and broken
palace walls. The historic town of Bithoor, once famous
by the name of ‘Bavan Ghaton ki Nagri’, (city of 52 Ghats)
today left with only 29 Ghats.
mtrs. above sea level
Makar Sankranti Mela.
Nearest airports are chakuri Airport, Kanpur. The latter
has become operational since Januari1996 and is serviced by
, Archana Airways and other private airlines.
is the nearest station, but serviced only by passenger trains,
Kanpur Junction is the most suitable station for Bithoor.
Some important trains that pass through Kanpur central railway
road distances are : Kanpur - 22 km, Lucknow - 109 km, Agra
- 308 km, Kannauj - 103 km, Sankisa - 166 km, Delhi - 430
km, Allahabad - 224 km, Ayodhya - 252 km.
This ashram is located
at a height and accessible by a flight of stairs known as
the "stairway to heaven". A panoramic vie of Bithoor
can be enjoyed from this ashram.
is considered the holiest ghat of Bithoor. Devotees of Lord
Brahma pray at the altar of the "Wooden Slippers"
after a ritual dip in the Ganga.
foundation stone of this red sandstone ghat was laid by Tikait
Rai, a minister of Awadh State. There is a massive temple
her dedicated to Lord Shiva. The shivlinga in the temple is
made of "Kasauti" or the philosopher's stone.
marks the place where the child Dhruva meditated single mindedly
as he stood on one leg. As a reward, God granted Dhruva the
divine boon to shine for all time as a star.
Other places of interest include Ram Janki
temple, Luv-Kush temple, Haridham Ashram and NanaRao Smarak..
UP Tourism Accommodation
(12 km) Tourist Motel
Fatehpur Roshnai (Rania) 24 km Tourist Bunglow .
local eateries available that serve vegetarian Indian food.