Sahaj Dental Clinic > Dento-Tourism - Save & Enjoy > Tourist Attraction
Dento-Tourism - Save & Enjoy

We are offering you a grand opportunity to experience the Mystic India along with a world class Dental treatment.
Kanpur

About The City

     Nestled on the banks of the eternal Ganga, Kanpur stands as one of North India’s major industrial centres with its own historical, religious and commercial importance. Believed to be founded by king Hindu Singh of the erstwhile state of Sachendi, Kanpur was originally known as `Kanhpur’

     Upto the 1st half of the 18th century Kanpur continued to survive as an insignificant village. Its fate, however, took a new turn soon after. In May 1765, Shuja-ud-daula, the Nawab Wazir of Awadh, was defeated by the British near Jajmau. It was probably at this time that strategic importance of the site of Kanpur was realized by the British. European businessmen had by this time gradually started establishing themselves in Kanpur. In order to ensure protection to their lives and property the `Awadh local forces’ were shifted here in 1778. Kanpur passed into British hands under the treaty of 1801 with Nawab Saadat Ali Khan of Awadh. This forms a turning point in the history of Kanpur. Soon Kanpur became one of the most important military station of British India. It was declared a district on 24th March 1803.

     Kanpur was soon to become the epicentre of the outbreak of 1857, as some of the leading luminaries of the War of Independence hailed from her, namely – Nana Sahib, Tantiya Tope, Azimoolah Khan and Brigadier Jwala Prasad. The three strategic events of the 1857 war at Kanpur were the fight at `wheeler’s entrenchment’, the `massacre at Sati Chaura Ghat’ and the `Bibighar massacre’. Nana Sahib had declared independence on the 7th of June 1857 at Kanpur. The British under Commander Hugh Wheeler retreated into a shallow earth entrenchment in the cantonment area, later known in history as `wheeler’s entrenchment’. The English garrison surrendered in the last week of June 1857 on terms of safe passage to Allahabad. But when on the morning of 27th June, the soldiers along with the women and children were about to embark into the boats at Sati Chaura Ghat, fighting broke out and most of the men were killed. The survivors, women and children were rescued who were imprisoned into the Savada Kothi and later shifted to Bibighar in the `cantonment magistrates’ compound. But when it became clear the relieving forces under General Havelock were nearing the city and defeat was inevitable, the captives-all women and children, were massacred and their dismembered bodies buried in the well of the compound on 15th July 1857. The Bibighar was dismantled by the British and reoccupation of Kanpur and a `memorial railing and a cross’ raised at the site of the well. The well is now bricked over. Only remains of a circular ridge survive, which can be still seen at the Nana Rao Park. The Kanpur Memorial Church – `The all soul cathedral’ was raised in honor of the fallen at the north-east corner of Wheeler’s entrenchment in 1862 by the British. The marble gothic screen with famous `mournful seraph’ was transferred to the churchyard of All Souls church after independence in 1947, and in its place a bust of Tantiya Tope installed as Nana Rao Park.

      After 1857, the development of Kanpur was even more phenomenal. Government Harness and Saddler Factory was started for supplying leather material for army in 1860, followed by Cooper Allen & Co. in 1880. The first cotton textile mill, the Elgin Mills were started in 1862 and Moiré Mills in 1882.

     Today besides being the most industrialized region of the state, Kanpur is also an important educational centre, with institutions like Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Agricultural College, Indian Institute of Technology, G.S.V.M. Medical College, National Sugar Institute and Government Textile Institute being located here. Apart from playing a stellar role in the development of the country as a whole, Kanpur has also been instrumental in making an unforgettable contribution to the Indian freedom struggle. A favorite centre of activities of stalwarts like Nanarao Peshwa, Tantiya Tope, Sardar Bhagat Singh and Chandra Shekhar Azad among others, Kanpur is also the birth place of Shyamlal Gupta `Parshad’, composer of the famous patriotic ditty `Vijayee Vishwa Tiranga Pyara’. The propagation and popularization of Hindi also owes much to this city, with great Hindu literatures like Acharya Mahavir Parasad Dwivedi, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, Pratap Narain Mishra, Acharya Gaya Prasad Shukla `Sanehi’ and Balkrishna Sharma `Navin’ having hailed from here.

Area : 1040 Sq. km.

Population : 2418447 (1991 census)

Altitude : 126 meters above sea level.

Season : November-February

Clothing (Summer) : Cottons; (Winter) : Woolens

Language : Hindi & English

Local Transport : Buses, Taxis, Tempos, Auto-Rickshaws.

STD Code : 0512

Accessibility

Air

     
Chakeri Airport, Kanpur, has become operational since January 1996 and is serviced by , Archana Airways and other private airlines. Apart from this the nearest airport is Amausi, Lucknow, 65 km.

Rail

     Connections to all the major stations of the country by express, super-fast and passenger trains. Some of the important trains that pass through Kanpur Central are;

2003/2004 Shatabadi Express (Delhi-Lucknow)

2301/2302 Rajdhani Express (New Delhi/Calcutta)
2381/2382 A/c Express (Amritsar/Calcutta)
2303/2304 A/c Express (Amritsar/Calcutta)
8475/8476 Neeelanchal Express (New Delhi/Puri)

3007/3008 Udyan Abha Toofan Express (New Delhi/Calcutta)

2521/2522 North East Express (New Delhi/Guwahati)
3007/3008 Magadh Vikramshila Express (New Delhi/Patna)
2554/2554 Vaishali Express (New Delhi/Barauni)
2419/2420 Gomti Express (New Delhi/Lucknow)
4163/4164 Sangam Express (Meerut/Allahabad)

2133/2134 Pushpak Express

Prayagraj Express (Delhi/Allahabad)

Road

     
Kanpur is connected by road with all the major cities of the country. It is situated on National Highway No. 2 on the Delhi-Agra-Allahabad-Calcutta route and on National Highway No. 25 on the Lucknow-Jhansi-Shivpuri route. Distances from some destinations in the region:

Lucknow – 79 km.

Allahabad – 193 km.

Varanasi – 329 km.

Khajuraho – 398 km.

Agra – 269 km.

Jhansi – 222 km.

Place Of Interest

Jajmau

    
The mound of Jajmau, on the eastern end of the city occupies a high place among ancient cities of the region. Excavations of the mound were undertaken during 1957-58 which unearthed antiquities ranging from 600 BC to 1600 AD.

    Jajmau,known as Siddhapuri in ancient times, is supposed to have been the kingdom of Yayati, the Pauranic king and the high mound overhanging the Ganga is known as the site of his fort.

    Today, Jajmau houses the Siddhnath and Siddha Devi temples and the mausoleum of Makhdum Shah Ala-ul-Haq, the famous Sufi saint, built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1358. A mosque built by Kulich Khan in 1679 also stands here.

Shri Radhakrishna Temple (J.K. Temple)

    Beautifully constructed, J.K. temple is a boon to the devotees. Built by J.K. Trust this architectural delight is a unique blend of ancient architecture with the modern. Among the five shrines that the temple has the central one is consecrated to Shri Radhakrishna and the other are adorned with idols of Shri Laxminarayan, Shri. Ardhanarishwar, Shri Narmadeshwar and Shri Hanuman.

Jain Glass Temple

     It is situated in Maheshwari Mohal behind the Kamla Tower. It is a beautiful temple highly decorated with glass and enamel work.

Allen Forest Zoo

     The Kanpur Zoo was opened in 1971 and ranks among one of the best zoos in the country. It is an ideal place for outdoor life and picnics amongst picturesque surroundings. Ph: 2543678.

Kamla Retreat

    Lies to the west of the Agricultural College in immediate neighborhood of the Allen Forest. It is under the possession of Singhania family and is a beauty spot of the city. There is a swimming tank with an equipment for producing artificial waves and suitable arrangement for lighting. Besides parks and a canal with facilities for boating, a zoo is also maintained.

     Kamla Retreat also houses a museum which has a good collection of historical and archaeological artifacts. Visitors are allowed only with prior permission from:; Deputy General Manager (Administration), Kamla Tower, Kamlanagar, Kanpur, UP. Phone: 2311478 & 2311479.

Phool Bagh

    It is a beautiful park in the heart of the city on the Mall Road. In the centre of the park is a building known as Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial. After the first World War there was an Orthopedic Rehabilitation Hospital in this building. It is now known as Ganesh Udyan.

Nana Rao Park

    To the west of Phool Bagh is located the Nana Rao Park. It is the site of the `Bibighar’ of 1857. The Park was renamed as Nana Rao Park after independence.

The Kanpur Memorial Church (All Soul’s Cathedral)

    The Kanpur Memorial Church was built in 1875, in honor of the British who lost their lives in the war of 1857. The Church was designed by Walter Granville, architect of the east Bengal Railway. The complete Church in Lombardic gothic style is handsomely executed in bright red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interior contains monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets.

    In the separate enclosure to the east of the church is the Memorial Garden, approached through two gateways. Here the handsome carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule, stands. Its centre is occupied by the beautiful carved figure of an angle by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with crossed arms, holding palons, symbol of peace. Originally the statue and the screen stood in the Municipal Gardens in the centre of the city, over the site of the Bibighar well. The memorials were relocated here after independence in 1948. The Military Cemetery on the edge of the cantonment contains a number of interesting graves from the late 19th century. Within the city the king Edward VII memorial hall is noteworthy and Christ Church building, built in 1840.

Harcourt Butler Technological Institute

    The Harcourt Butler Technological Institute was established in 1920 at Kanpur and is engaged in imparting technical training and industrial research. Phone: 294851, 294852, 294853, 294854 & 294855.

Indian Institute of Technology

    One of the five IIT’s, set up in 1959 at Kanpur, it provides education in the fields of engineering, technology, science and humanities. Phones: 250151 & 257878.

Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology

    Established in 1957 to provide education of agriculture, animal husbandry and veterinary science for the benefit of rural people.

     Among other sites worth visiting at Kanpur are the Hanuman temple-Panki, Anandeshwar temple, Jageshwar temple, Dwarikadhish temple, Prayagnarayan temple, Kailash temple, Buddhadevi temple, Kherepati temple, Varahidevi temple, Bhairav temple and Tulsi Upvan (Moti Jheel)

Accommodation

The Landmark Hotel, 10, The Mall. Phone: (0512)2317601, 2317602, 2317603, 2317604 & 2317605. Fax: (0512)2315291..

Meghdoot Hotel, The Mall. Phone: (0512)2311999. Fax: (0512)2310209. Telex: 0325-2282 A/B MAGT IN, Cable: Meghotel.

Sarvodaya Plaza, 3-A,Sarvodaya Nagar. Phone: (0512)2217126, 2217127 & 2217128.

Meera Inn, Opp. Reserve Bank of India, The Mall. Phones: (0512)2319972, 2319973, 2319974, 2319975, 2319976, 2319978 & 2319979.

Geet Hotel, 18/174-175, Opp. Phool Bagh, The Mall. Phones; (0512)2311042, 2311043, 2311044, 2311045, 2311046 & 2311024.

Hotel Bliss, near Gomti No. 5, Gurudwara, 111-A/5, G.T. Road. Phone: (0512)2291707, 2291731 & 2291738.

Hotel Gaurav, 18/54, The Mall. Phones: (0512)2368616 & 2369599.

Hotel Ganges, 51/50, Naya Ganj. Phones: (0512)2352853 & 2352965.

Hotel Deep Mayur, 11/274, Sutar Ganj. Phone: (0512)2210645.

Hotel Swagat, 80 Feet Road. Phones: (0512)2541923 & 2541900.

Hotel Holiday Inn, 118/16 3-B, Bomber Road, Gumti No. 5, Kanpur. Phone: (0512)2219852.

Anand Guest House, 122/729, Shastri Nagar. Phone: (0512)2220496.

Hotel Aryawat, 51/104, Collector Ganj. Phone: (0512)2363132.

Hotel Ashoka, 24/16, Birhana Road, Kanpur. Phone: (0512)2312742.

Hotel Basera, 70/39, Sutar Khana. Phone: (0512)2355398.

Hotel Bliss, Near Gumti No. 5, Gurudwara, 111 A/5, G.T. Road. Phone: (0512)2291703.

Hotel Deep, 124-C/243, Govind Nagar, Kanpur. Phones: (0512)2218136 & 2298789.

Hotel Gem, 40/69 B, Hospital Road, Parade. Phone: (0512)2361421. Fax: (0512)2318514.

Hotel Kesar Palace, 110/189, R.K. Nagar, G.T. Road, Kanpur. Phones: (0512)2540467 & 2546218.

Hotel Mahadev Regency, 14/124, Parade, The Mall. Phone: (0512)2319943.

Hotel Natraj, 71/150, Sutarkhana. Phone: (0512)2364231.

Hotel Raj Mahal, 112/1B, Arya Nagar. Phone: (0512)2292134.

UP Tourism Accommodation

Rahi Motel, Tatya Ganj – 12 km.

Rahi Motel, Fatehpur Roshnai, Rania – 24 km.

Priyadarshini Motel, Nawabganj, Distt. Unnao. Phones: 25154, 25150, 25160.

Resturant

     The city of Kanpur abounds in restaurants and eateries that cater to vegetarian and non-vegetarian palates. Some restaurants also serve Chinese and continental cuisine.

Angithi Restaurant, 26/45, The Mall. Phone: (0512)2365294.

Buddhasen, 26/45, Birhana Road. Phone: (0512)2365294.

Chung Fa Restaurant, 94-B, Canal Road. Phones: (0512)2316131 & 2360336.

Kwality Restaurant, 16/97, The Mall. Phone: (0512)2312680.

Haritma Village Restaurant, 9/3, Macrobert Ganj. Phone: (0512)2544338.

Little Chet Restaurant, 15/198, Civil Lines. Phone: (0512)2311725 & 231375.

Pandit’s Upvan Restaurant.
Bank

State Bank of India, LIC Building. Phone: (0512)2312218.

Punjab National Bank, The Mall. Phones: (0512)2311577, 2314159, 2362117 & 2317986.

Union Bank of India, 24/53, Birhana Road. Phone: (0512)2313109.

Canara Bank, 16/95, The Mall.

Reserve Bank of India, The Mall. Phones: (0512)2311443 & 2311191.

Standard Charted Bank, M.G. Road. Phone: (0512)2318089.

ANZ Grindlays Bank, Bara Chauraha. Phones: (0512)2311462 & 2311204.

Allahabad Bank, Bara Chauraha. Phone: (0512)2318052.

Post & Telegraph

Post Office, R.K. Nagar, Phone: (0512)2291521.

Post Office, Transport Nagar. Phone: (0512)2273452.

Post Office, IIT, Kalyanpur. Phone: (0512)2250245.

Post Office, Naya Ganj. Phone: (0512)2318219.

Post Office, Birhana Road, Opp. Tourist Office. Phone: (0512)2318235.

Post Office, Kanpur Central Railway Station. Phone: (0512)2266624.

Head Post Office, Bara Chauraha. Phone: (0512)2364435.
Hospital

Regency Hospital. Phone: (0512)295489.

Dufferin Hospital. Phone: (0512)262500.

Guru Nanak Hospital. Phone: (0512)2223156.

Cardiology Institute, Phones: (0512)2214269 & 2214641.

Chacha Nehru Children’s Hospital. Phone: (0512)262895.

Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, G.T. Road. Phone: (0512)2241138.

UHM Hospital, The Mall. Phone: (0512)262670.

General Hospital. Phone: (0512)2295489.

CGHS Hospital, Civil Lines. Phone: (0512)2368876.

Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohtagi Smirk Hospital, Sarvodaya Nagar. Phone: (0512)2297247.

Tourist Info

UP Government Tourist Office: 26/51 Birhana Road (Backlane), Opp. Post Office.

Excursions

Bithoor

     
The quiet and beautiful township of Bithoor is situated on the Kannauj Road, 27 km from Kanpur. Situated on the banks of the Ganga, this tranquil spot is of considerable historical and religious importance. According to Hindu scriptures Lord Brahma came to Utpalaranya, as it was known then, for the creation of mankind. The place which first witnessed the creation of mankind came to be known as Brahmavarta or the seat of Brahma. Later Brahma installed a Shivalinga which is still worshipped as Brahmeshwar Mahadeva at the principal ghat of Bithoor, the Brahmavarta Ghat. A nail of the horse shoe embedded in the steps of the ghat is an object of special reverence for devotees, considered to be of Brahma’s horse, while going for Ashwamedha Yajna. On the completion of the yajna, the forests of Utpalaranya became known as Brahmavarta, from which the popular name, Bithoor is derived.

     In later centuries Brahmavarta flourished as a capital of the kingdom of Utpalaranya, over which ruled the emperor Uttanpad. His son Dhruva penanced here in order to please Brahma. The place is pointed out to be Dhruva Teela.

     There is a small pool inside Valmiki Ashram, famous as Sita-Kund. Sita ‘Rasoi’ is still preserved, near which stands `Swarga Naseinee’ or Deep Malika Stambha, studded with niches all around for illumination. The tower has about 48 steps leading to its top which is surmounted by a cupola, from where one can heave a panoramic view of the entire area. The existing Valmiki temple is said to have been rebuilt by Baji Roa Peshwa in the 19th century.

     Later Brahmavarta fell into obscurity, only to regain prominence in the 18th century. During 1753-75 under the rule of Nawab Shuja-ud-daula, the administration of Bithoor was entrusted to Almas Ali Khan, who erected a mosque near Lakshman Ghat on the right bank of Ganga.

     Bithoor was the capital of the Pargana from 1811 to 819. After the departure of the courts, the place was assigned as a residence to Baji Rao, the deposed Peshwa. The Palace of Nana Sahib was reduced to rubble by the British in 1857 and the only traces remaining of it are some large well heads and broken palace walls.

Bhitargaon

     59 km. Situated in Ghatampur tehsil, Bhitargaon houses a unique architectural specimen – a brick temple belonging to the Gupta era. The very first shrine with a shikara, it dates back to 600 AD.

Musanagar

     65 km from Kanpur, the ancient site of Musanagar with innumerable mounds deserved mention on account of the ancient temple of Muktadevi, which is said to have been built in Treta-Yug by Raja Bali. A large fair is held at Muktadevi temple on occasion of Kartik Poornima. Musanagar is also a rich archaeological site and has yielded a large number of artifacts and specimens of the post Harrapan, Shunga, Maurya and Kushana periods. The Muktadevi temple also offers an excellent view of the surrounding landscape. One can climb the roof of the temple dharamshala, from where can be seen the meandering Sengar river meeting the Yamuna down below, in a beautiful natural setting.

Kannauj

      80 km. Situated on the banks of the river Ganga, Kannauj was the 7th century capital of Emperor Harshavardhana’s empire, which encompassed the entire region between the rivers Sutlej and Narmada and eastern Bengal. While all traces of this past have vanished, Kannauj is famous for its manufacture of essence (ittar) used in perfumes.

Lucknow

Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary

      43 km from Lucknow, along the Lucknow-Kanpur highway near Unnao, is the Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. The sanctuary attracts rare Siberian migratory birds during winters, the main bird species being Pintain, Pigeon, Common teal, Shoveller, Pochard, Coot, Purple Moorhen and others. The ideal season for bird watching is between December and March. The Priyadarshini Motel of U.P. Tourism provides good boarding and lodging facilities at the sanctuary.

Treatment Available
Package
Tourist Attraction
Excursions
Tourist Attraction
Agra
Ayodhya
Bithoor
Braj-Bhoomi
Chunar
Chitrakoot
Deogarh
Dudhwa National Park
Jaunpur
Jhansi
Kalinjar
Kanpur
Kapilvastu
Kushinagar
Lucknow
Mirzapur
Mahoba
Sarnath
Sravasti
Varanasi
Vrindavan
Fatehpur Sikri

Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church

Church


Church


Church


Church


Church


Church



Religious Places